Opened in 1918, this theatre was originally named for actor-prodcer Henry Miller. Like many, it did time as a movie house and discotheque. It was returned to legitimate use and dubbed The Kit Kat Klub in 1998. The original name returned when "Urinetown" opened in 2001. Closed 2004-2009 during the construction of the Bank of America Tower, it was aquired and renovated by the Roundabout Theatre Company, reopening in 2009 with a revival of "Bye, Bye Birdie." In the spring of 2010, it was renamed for legendary composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim.
The venue is fully handicapped accessible and has 20 wheelchair locations. The mezzanine is at street level, with the Orchestra located underground (where two-thirds of the seating is located). There is a spacious lobby bar on the orchestra level, a bar and cafï¿½ at the ground level, and a restaurant on the upper mezzanine. There are 22 fixtures in the women's restrooms (3 times the code requirement) and ten fixtures in the men's (1.5 times the code requirement).