One of the most beautifully restored theatres in the city, the New Amsterdam originally opened in 1903 as the largest theatre in New York at the time. In the late 1930s, it was turned into a movie house and eventually fell into the hands of the city. In 1993, Disney leased the theatre (for 99 years!) and began a 4-year renovation and restoration project. In 1997, the New Amsterdam became the original home of "The Lion King," followed by"Mary Poppins," and its current occupant, "Aladdin."
There are no steps into the theatre from street level. Wheelchair seating is available in the Orchestra and Mezzanine. Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located on all three levels. An elevator is available from the main lobby.