Built in 1907 to the specifications of, and later named for, the impresario David Belasco (known as the "Wizard of the Theatre" and "The Bishop of Broadway"), the interior features lavish displays of gilt and Tiffany glass. It opened as the Stuyvesant Theatre with Antoinette Perry in "A Grand Army Man." Mr. Belasco's ghost was long-rumored to haunt the place until the nudie-revue "Oh, Calcutta" played the house in the 1970's. More recently, the venue was home to the starry cast of "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown."
There are two steps into the theatre from the sidewalk at the main entrance, but no steps at side entrance. Wheelchair accessible seating is available on the Orchestra level. There is a wheelchair accessible restroom on the main level. Additional restrooms are located down one flight of stairs and on the Mezzanine and Balcony levels. An assisted listening system is available.