An intimate space located in the heart of the commercial theatre district, it opened as the Theater Masque in 1927 with "Puppets of Passion." In the late 1930s, it was acquired by impresario John Golden, who renamed it for himself and operated it as a movie house. It was returned to legitimate use in the mid-1950s and gained a reputation for housing enigmatic plays, from "Waiting for Godot" with E.G. Marshall and Bert Lahr to "The Gin Game" with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. Seventy-six years after opening, it housed the award-winning "Avenue Q," another production known for its puppets.
There are no steps into the theatre from the sidewalk. All parts of the Orchestra are accessible without steps. Wheelchair seating is in the orchestra only. The Mezzanine is located up 3 flights of stairs (28 steps). Restrooms are located down 2 flights of stairs (19 steps), and are not wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located next door at the Milford Plaza Hotel. An assisted listening system is available.